Please click here to see general Music & Entertainment Industry Studies information.
The recording arts emphasis focuses on contemporary analog and digital technology as it is used in music recording, sound reinforcement and media applications (Internet, video games, interactive art installations, etc.). While mastering technology skills and formats, musicians also study the artistic and aesthetic applications of technology to recording, reinforcement, composition and performance.
- This is an on-campus program.
Declaring This Major
- Click here to go to information about declaring a major.
- Students who wish to pursue the recording arts emphasis, non-audition track, are not required to complete an audition as part of the departmental application process. Students will be assessed for varying levels of performance proficiency as part of the curriculum. Please see the recording arts website and contact the College of Arts & Media at CAM@ucdenver.edu for further information and any updates.
To earn a degree, students must satisfy all requirements in each of the areas below, in addition to their individual major requirements.
- CU Denver General Graduation Requirements
- CU Denver Core Curriculum
- College of Arts & Media Graduation Requirements
- Click here for information about Academic Policies
- To earn a BS in Music, students must complete musicianship courses, Music & Entertainment Industry Studies core courses and requirements from one of the four emphasis areas: performance, singer/songwriter, music business or recording arts.
- A minimum grade of C (2.0) is required for each course applied toward a College of Arts & Media major, minor or certificate requirement. A grade of C- (1.7) or lower will not fulfill a major, minor or certificate requirement. A grade of P is acceptable for courses in which the only grade available is Pass or Fail.
|Musicianship Course Groups|
|Take all of the following Musicianship course groups:|
|PMUS 1120||Music Theory I||3|
|PMUS 1119||Ear Training and Sight Singing I||1|
|PMUS 1211||Ear Training and Sight Singing II||1|
|PMUS 1500||General Recital||1|
|Take all of the following Musicianship courses:|
|PMUS 3832||Music in Culture||3|
|PMUS ___||Music History Elective||3|
|PMUS or MUSC ___||Music Elective||3|
|Take one of the following Musicianship courses:|
|Piano Class I|
|Take one of the following Musicianship courses:||1|
|Piano Class I|
|Piano Class II|
|Class Guitar II|
|Voice Class I|
|Music & Entertainment Industry Studies Core|
|Take the following Music & Entertainment Industry Studies Core course:|
|MUSC 2700||Introduction to Music Business||3|
|Take one of the following Music & Entertainment Industry Studies Core courses:|
|Music and Entertainment Marketing|
|Take the following course:|
|MUSC 1800||Acoustics for Audio Production||3|
|Recording Arts Emphasis|
|Take all of the following Recording Arts Emphasis courses:|
|MUSC 1541||Audio Production I||3|
|MUSC 1542||Audio Production Lab||1|
|MUSC 1560||Audio Production II||3|
|MUSC 2550||Critical Listening for Recording Arts||3|
|MUSC 2580||Audio Production III||3|
|MUSC 2590||Mastering & Advanced Digital Audio||3|
|MUSC 3530||Live Sound Reinforcement||3|
|MUSC 3505||Introduction to Audio Post Production||3|
|MUSC 4580||Audio Production Seminar||3|
|Recording Arts Emphasis Electives|
|Take twenty eight semester hours of Recording Arts Emphasis electives.||28|
Please contact the College of Arts & Media at CAM@ucdenver.edu for course sequencing, any prerequisite updates and for lists of approved electives and more information about this emphasis.
To review the Degree Map for this program, please visit our website.