2022-2023 Academic Catalog

Print Options

Grading System

Grading System and Policies

The following grading system and policies have been standardized for all academic units of the university.

Grade Symbols

The instructor is responsible for whatever grade symbol (e.g., A, B, C, D, F, I or IP) is to be assigned. Special symbols (NC and W) are indications of registration or grade status and are not assigned by the instructor. Pass/fail (e.g. P, F) designations may exist for some courses.

Standard Grades Quality Points
A = superior/excellent 4
A(-) = 3.7
B(+) = 3.3
B - good/better than average 3
B(-) = 2.7
C(+) = 2.3
C = competent/average 2
C(-) = 1.7
D(+) = 1.3
D = 1
D(-) = minimum passing 0.7
F = failing 0

Note: Instructors may, at their discretion, use the plus/minus system but are not required to do so.

Grade Explanation
I Incomplete - converted to an F if not completed within one year
IP In progress thesis at the graduate level only
P/F Pass/fail - P grad is not included in the GPA; the F grade is included
NC Indicates registration on a no-credit basis
W Indicates withdrawal without credit


  1. Students who wish to request a course be graded on a pass/fail basis (or to revert from pass/fail to graded status) may do so up until the tenth week of the term for 16-week fall or spring session, or until the withdraw deadline of the eight-week or five-week fall or spring session, or summer session.
  2. Up to 16 semester hours of course work may be taken on a pass/fail basis and credited toward the bachelor’s degree. Only six hours of course work may be taken pass/fail in any given semester. (Note: Individual schools and colleges may have additional restrictions as to pass/fail credits. See the specific school/college specific policy.)
  3. Instructors will not be informed of pass/fail registration. All students who register for a pass/fail appear on the regular class roster, and a normal letter grade is assigned by the professor. When grades are received in the Registrar’s Office, those registrations with a pass/fail designation are automatically converted by the grade application system. Courses taken pass/fail will be included in hours toward graduation. Grades of C- and above convert to P+.  Grades of D+, D, and D- convert to grades of P. Pass grades (P+ and P) are not included in a student’s GPA. An F grade in a course taken pass/fail will be included in the GPA.
  4. Pass/fail registration records are maintained by the Registrar’s Office.
  5. Exceptions to the pass/fail regulations are permitted for specified courses offered by the School of Education & Human Development, the extended studies programs and study abroad programs.
  6. Graduate degree students can exercise the pass/fail option for undergraduate courses only. A grade of P+ or P will not be acceptable for graduate credit to satisfy any Graduate School requirement.

Students who register for a course on a pass/fail basis may not later (after the stated deadline) decide to receive a letter grade.

To request the P+/P/F grading scale, students must complete and submit the pass/fail form.


  • In the event of a transfer, the receiving institution may not accept a P+ grade for transfer credit.
  • The pass/fail grading basis is subject to changing as APS 1025 is currently being reviewed.

No Credit

Students may register for a course on a no-credit basis with the consent of their instructor and the dean of their school or college. No grade or credit is awarded. The transcript reflects the name of the course taken and an N/C notation.

Incomplete Grade

An I is an incomplete grade. Policies with respect to I grades are available in the individual college and school dean’s offices.

An I is given only when students, for reasons beyond their control, have been unable to complete course requirements. A substantial amount of work must have been satisfactorily completed before approval for such a grade is given.

The instructor who assigns an I sets the conditions under which the course work can be completed and the time limit for its completion. The student is expected to complete the requirements by the established deadline and not retake the entire course.

It is the instructor’s and/or the student’s decision whether a course should be retaken. If a course is retaken, it must be completed on the Denver Campus or in extended studies classes. The student must re-register for the course and pay the appropriate tuition.

The final grade, if retaking the course, does not result in deletion of the I grade on the original course, from the transcript. A second entry is posted on the transcript to show the final grade for the new attempt.

At the end of one year, I grades for courses that are not completed are changed to an F.

Good Academic Standing

Degree Seeking Students

Students at the University are expected to maintain progress in their degree program, as defined by being in “good academic standing.” Good academic standing requires minimally a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on all University of Colorado course work.

Non-degree Seeking Students

Continuation as a non-degree graduate student is contingent upon maintaining an overall GPA of 3.0.

Failure to maintain the required average will result in a non-degree student being suspended. The suspension is for an indefinite period of time and becomes part of the student’s permanent record at the university. While under suspension, enrollment at the university is restricted. For more information contact the dean’s office of the school /college you are enrolled in.