Public Administration/Public Health, MPA/MPH
Master of Public Administration Program Director: Todd Ely, PhD
The University of Colorado Denver School of Public Affairs and the Colorado School of Public Health jointly sponsor the Dual Master of Public Administration/Master of Public Health, enabling students to take core and electives courses of both programs to simultaneously count toward both programs.
Students interested in pursuing the dual-degree program must apply to and be admitted to each of the programs. Students admitted to one program may choose to apply to the other program at a later date. Learn more about how to apply to the Master of Public Administration portion of the dual degree.
- Courses are offered on campus, online, and in remote and hybrid formats.
- Students are required to take 20 courses, or 60 semester hours, to complete the dual degree.
- Students without pre-service experience in the government or nonprofit sectors will also be required to take a 3-credit internship course, bringing the total number of semester hours to 63.
- Students must earn a minimum B- grade in each required course applied to satisfy degree requirements and must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- No more than 6 semester hours of Independent Study may be applied toward the degree.
- For more detailed information about course sequencing and requirements, contact your advisor.
|Required MPA Core Courses|
|PUAD 5001||Introduction to Public Administration and Public Service||3|
|PUAD 5002||Organizational Management and Behavior||3|
|PUAD 5003||Research and Analytic Methods||3|
|PUAD 5004||Economics and Public Finance||3|
|or PUAD 5503||Public Budgeting and Finance|
|PUAD 5005||The Policy Process and Democracy||3|
|PUAD 5006||Public Service Leadership and Ethics||3|
|PUAD 5008||Evidence-Based Decision-Making (pre-req PUAD 5003)||3|
|Required MPH Core Courses|
|BIOS 6601||Applied Biostatistics I||3|
|EHOH 6614||Occupational and Environmental Health||3|
|CBHS 6610||Social and Behavioral Factors and Health||3|
|HSMP 6601||Introduction to HSMP||3|
|PUBH 6600||Foundations in Public Health||2|
|Required MPA Electives||6|
Select two Public Administration elective courses at the 5000-level or above from an approved list.
|Required MPH Electives||12|
Consult with advisor on approved electives.
|MPH Capstone Preparation - BIOS|
|MPH Capstone Integration|
Students who have not had at least one year of professional work experience in the public or nonprofit sectors must complete PUAD 6910 Internship, bringing the total number of credits to complete the dual-degree program to 63.
The MPH Capstone at the CU Anschutz Medical Campus is presented in a two-semester sequence, with each course totaling 1 semester hour, for a total of 2 semester hours.