Please click here to see general Visual Arts information.
The art history emphasis familiarizes students with a range of developments in the history of art while developing skills in critical thinking, writing, research and the study of visual culture. After a two-semester introduction to the foundations of art and architectural history, students choose from an array of advanced courses on specific topics. This curriculum concludes with capstone seminars on the methods of art historical scholarship as well as a thesis project.
- This is an on-campus program.
Declaring This Major
To earn a degree, students must satisfy all requirements in each of the areas below, in addition to their individual major requirements.
- CU Denver General Graduation Requirements
- CU Denver Core Curriculum
- College of Arts & Media Graduation Requirements
- Click here for information about Academic Policies
- A minimum grade of C (2.0) is required for each course applied toward a College of Arts & Media major, minor or certificate requirement. A grade of C- (1.7) or lower will not fulfill a major, minor or certificate requirement. A grade of P is acceptable for courses in which the only grade available is Pass or Fail.
- All upper-division visual arts courses must be taken at CU Denver unless approved otherwise by Department of Visual Arts faculty.
- At least 21 semester hours of all visual arts credits (at any level) must be taken at CU Denver.
- At least 18 semester hours of total visual arts courses must be upper-division.
|Take all of the following Studio Arts courses:|
|FINE ___||2-dimensional Studio Arts course||3|
|FINE ___||3-dimensional Studio Arts course||3|
|FINE ___||Studio Arts Elective||3|
|Take one of the following English courses:||3|
|Grammar, Rhetoric and Style|
|Argumentation and Logic|
|Proposal and Grant Writing|
|Art History (Entry Level)|
|Take all of the following Art History courses (entry level):|
|FINE 2600||Art History Survey I||3|
|FINE 2610||Art History Survey II||3|
|Take a minimum of three semester hours of Pre-20th Century Art History elective.||3|
|Take an additional eighteen semester hours of upper-division (3000/4000-level) Art History electives (six courses).||18|
|Art History Capstone|
|Take all of the following Art History Capstone courses:|
|FINE 4790||Methods in Art History||3|
|FINE 4951||Bachelor of Art Thesis||3|
Please contact the College of Arts & Media at CAM@ucdenver.edu for course sequencing, any prerequisite updates and for lists of approved studio arts courses and art history electives, as well as more information about this emphasis.
To review the Degree Map for this program, please visit our website.