Public Affairs, PhD
Program Director: Deserai Crow, PhD
The Doctor of Philosophy in Public Affairs program addresses the demand for scholarship in public administration, public policy, public management, and criminal justice/criminology. The program develops the conceptual, research, and analytic skills and knowledge of its students so that they will be able to advance the study and practice of public affairs in their subsequent careers. The PhD prepares its graduates for positions in academia and consulting firms, public management and administration, public policy analysis, politics and advocacy, and nonprofits.
Graduate Education Policies and Procedures apply to this program.
Time Required for the PhD Degree
The PhD program requires an intense commitment. Most core courses are offered during the late afternoon or early evenings. On average, students take 4 to 6 years to complete all of the requirements for the PhD. The PhD program is not offered online, although some elective courses may be taken online.
PhD Application Requirements
Applicants must submit the following items before they can be considered for admission. The application deadline is February 1 for domestic applicants and January 15 for international applicants. Admitted students usually begin in the fall semester.
- Application form
- Official transcripts from all degree-granting institutions
- GRE scores (no more than five years old)
- A resume or curriculum vita
- Three letters of reference attesting to a candidate’s academic promise
- A well-articulated statement of purpose demonstrating an understanding of the research orientation of the degree and a strong motivation and determination to successfully complete the program
All these items are taken into consideration in admitting applicants into the PhD Program.
Applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. This requirement may be waived for applicants who have completed a baccalaureate or graduate-level degree program at an English-speaking college or university. In addition, applicants whose native language is not English might be required to participate in an oral interview.
The School of Public Affairs will fund a small number of doctoral research assistantships each year based on financial availability and qualifications of the applicant.
- Students must complete a total of 30 credit hours of coursework and 30 credit hours of dissertation work.
- Students may complete the degree full time or part time.
- Students may transfer 3 elective credits from a prior graduate degree.
- This program must be completed within 8 years.
- Students focused on criminal justice, criminology, and related fields can opt to substitute one of the foundational courses (8010, 8020, 8030, or 8040) for Criminological Theory (CRJU 7002).
|PUAD 8010||Historical and Comparative Foundations of Public Administration||3|
|PUAD 8020||Seminar in Public Management||3|
|PUAD 8030||Seminar in Public Policy||3|
|PUAD 8040||Seminar In Economic and Institutional Foundations of Public Affairs||3|
|PUAD 8050||Quantitative Methods I||3|
|PUAD 8060||Seminar On The Conduct Of Empirical Inquiry||3|
|PUAD 8070||Quantitative Methods II||3|
|PUAD 7007||Qualitative Research Methods||3|
|Approved graduate-level electives||6|
|Upon completion of the coursework and the comprehensive exam, students complete 30 hours of dissertation credit||30|
Comprehensive Exam, Dissertation Proposal, and Dissertation
PhD students must take and pass the comprehensive exam immediately following the completion of their core courses. Admission to candidacy (advanced to candidacy) occurs after completing in a satisfactory manner all of their coursework, passing the comprehensive examination unconditionally, and achieving a grade point average of 3.33 in doctoral coursework. Soon after they have advanced to candidacy, students must defend a dissertation proposal. Upon completing their research, students must defend their dissertation.
Applicants are encouraged to contact Dr. Deserai Crow, Director of the PhD Program, at email@example.com.