Please click here to see Philosophy department information.
The 4+1 accelerated Master's program in Philosophy is an expedited program of study that allows students to complete a Bachelor's degree in Philosophy and a Master's degree in Humanities in as few as 5 years.
These requirements are subject to periodic revision by the academic department, and the College reserves the right to make exceptions and substitutions as judged necessary in individual cases. Therefore, the College strongly urges students to consult regularly with their faculty advisor and CLAS advisor to confirm the best plans of study before finalizing them.
• This is an on-campus program.
Declaring This Major
Click here to go to information about declaring a major.
To earn a degree, students must satisfy all requirements in each of the three areas below, in addition to their individual major requirements.
Click here for information about Academic Policies
While students are completing a BA degree in Philosophy, they may also complete some of the requirements for an Master's in Humanities program by participating in the BA/ MH program using the following guidelines:
- The student must apply and be accepted for participation in the program prior to completion of the BA degree in consultation with both the undergraduate and graduate advisors. Students must complete a 4+1 intent form to formally declare this program, as they work very closely with undergraduate and graduate advisors to ensure they are on track and completing requirements as necessary.
- Students will follow the undergraduate curriculum for the Philosophy BA and work closely with their faculty advisor to begin taking Philosophy graduate level coursework as they complete their undergraduate degree.
Students must complete a minimum of 36 PHIL credit hours applied to the BA.
Students must complete a minimum of 27 upper-division (3000-level and above) PHIL credit hours and no more than 15 graduate (5000-level and above) credit hours.
Students must earn a minimum grade of C- (1.7) C-(1.7) in all major courses taken at CU Denver and must achieve a minimum cumulative major GPA of 2.0. All graded attempts in required and elective courses are calculated in the major GPA. Students cannot complete major or ancillary course requirements as pass/fail. Courses completed with grades below the letter grade of B- (GPA 2.7) may not be applied toward fulfillment of the requirements for any graduate degree within the Graduate School.
Students must complete a minimum of 18 undergraduate PHIL credit hours with CU Denver faculty and all graduate level coursework with CU Denver faculty.
- Students may complete a maximum of 15 credits as an undergraduate that will apply to both their undergraduate and graduate degrees. These courses must be 4000 or 5000 level and should be selected in consultation with undergraduate and graduate advisors.
- Students should officially declare their intent to complete this program by their junior year and apply to the graduate program during the semester in which they intend to complete their BA.
- Application requirements may differ from the traditional 2 year MH, which is why students need to work closely with faculty advisors and the political science graduate program director for more information and to ensure they are following the best track to complete coursework so that they only have one year after completing the undergraduate degree, to complete the graduate requirements.