Risk Management and Insurance, BS in Business Administration
Please click here for more information on this program, opportunities and scholarships.
The Risk Management and Insurance (RMI) major provides students with the fundamental knowledge needed to accurately measure and manage risk. Risk Management and Insurance professionals are found in corporate, public sector, and non-profit organizations. Risk Management is a lucrative field with a looming talent shortage, and the demand for this expertise is high. 50% of this industry is retiring in the next 5 to 10 years, so there is a huge need for new talent. The CU Denver Business School RMI program is proud to have placed 100% of its graduates in great jobs!
Recent crisis situations suggest that understanding risk and how to manage it, and ultimately, how risk management can be used to increase firm value, is essential in the current business environment. Risk Management affects all businesses, large and small, private and public. The RISK major will provide an overall perspective on risk, with a specific focus on insurance products and their use in mitigating risk in business and personal situations. The insurance industry recognizes many high-level certifications as a sign of expertise, and the RISK coursework will provide the knowledge base so that students can proceed to acquire certification in their specific choice of insurance specialty.
Potential job opportunities include positions in the insurance industry and those that require a thorough understanding of risk, such as corporate risk officer or risk manager. In addition, students who choose to work in the insurance industry can make a seamless transition into underwriting, broker, claims management, loss control, or investigator positions. The program will be supported by a unique internship in the risk management or insurance industry and is the first program of its kind in the region. The CU Denver Risk Management and Insurance (RMI) Program was named an international Global Center for Insurance Excellence (GCIE). This certification recognizes outstanding RMI Programs that play an integral role in promoting insurance knowledge and research.
- The BSBA in Risk Management and Insurance (RMI) can be completed fully online or a combination of on-campus and online classes.
Unique to the RMI Program, many risk management and insurance companies, organizations and professionals support the Risk Management and Insurance Program at CU Denver. They support our students in a variety of ways by:
Providing academic RMI Scholarships
- Providing paid RMI internships
- Sponsoring attendance at their events and monthly meetings
- Providing free student membership in RMI professional organizations
- Offering RMI Shadow Day opportunities
- Providing scholarships to attend local and national conferences
- Engaging in course curriculum and program development
- Engaging with students at student club, Gamma Iota Sigma (GIS), events
Declaring This Major
To earn the BSBA degree in Risk Management and Insurance (RMI), students must satisfy all requirements in each of the areas below, in addition to their individual major requirements.
- CU Denver General Graduation Requirements
- CU Denver Core Curriculum
- Business School Graduation Requirements
- Click here for information about Academic Policies
|FNCE 3500||Management of Business Capital 1||3|
|RISK 3809||Introduction to Risk Management||3|
|RISK 4809||Property & Casualty Insurance||3|
|RISK 4909||Corporate Risk Management||3|
|RISK 3949||Experiential Learning in RMI Industry||3|
|Select three of the following:||9|
|Practical Enterprise Risk Management|
|Cyber Risk Management|
|Strategic Risk Management|
|Global Risk Management 2|
|Life and Health Insurance|
|High Impact Sales for Entrepreneurs|
|Financial Markets and Institutions|
|Investment and Portfolio Management 1|
|Corporate Financial Decisions 1|
A grade of C must be earned.
Also qualifies as international elective.
- All RISK majors are required to complete RISK 3949 Experiential Learning in RMI Industry (internship) to fulfill BGEN Experiential Learning. The RMI Program will assist you in securing this internship.
- Each Fall and Spring semester, students have the option to apply for an RMI scholarship when they are enrolled in at least one 3-credit RISK course, excluding RISK 3949 (one scholarship per semester). About $50,000 in RMI Scholarships each year. Apply for RMI Scholarships here.
To review the Degree Map for this program, please visit our website.