Risk Management and Insurance Studies Undergraduate Certificate
Please click here to see additional information about the Undergraduate Certificate in Risk Management and Insurance (RMI) Studies on the Business School website.
Broaden your knowledge of Risk Management and Insurance (RMI) by completing a one-year Certificate in RMI Studies from the University of Colorado Denver. By completing three semester-long RMI courses, all available online, and meeting prior finance course requirements, you will be on your way to enhancing your personal knowledge and providing your employer with RMI awareness and professional skills. Previous course work and some professional designations may waive the prerequisites.
The Risk Management and Insurance industry is actively seeking young talent and the RMI program has 100% job placement of our graduates at competitive salaries. 50% of this industry is retiring in the next 5 to 10 years, leaving a huge need for new talent. The pervasive reality of risk affects all individuals and organizations. Specialized knowledge and understanding of risk increase students’ marketability and potential for success across a wide range of industries.
This certificate is for students currently pursuing a degree in any undergraduate discipline that wants to expand their business knowledge of risk management to give themselves a leg up when they enter the workforce. Degree-seeking students are eligible to apply for RMI scholarships each semester they are enrolled in a certificate course. However, this certificate can also be taken by students with only a high school diploma or those that have completed their degree.
Students can pursue this undergraduate certificate, even if they are not CU Denver students. Credit earned as a part of the certificate does count towards your undergraduate degree, should you choose to pursue a degree here.
Potential Career Opportunities in Risk Management:
• Underwriter • Broker • Risk Manager • Claims Adjustor • Risk Analyst • Account Executive • Loss Control • Agent
Add an RMI Certificate to your degree in:
• Business • Economics • Math • Actuarial Science • Criminal Justice • Information Technology • Engineering • Other Majors
See the Certificate in Risk Management page for more information.
- This certificate can be completed fully online or a combination of online and on-campus classes.
Declaring This Certificate
- See the Undergraduate Certificate in Risk Management and Insurance Studies for more information. CU Denver students can contact their advisor to add this certificate to their degree. Non-degree students may contact email@example.com for assistance enrolling or for more information.
- Click here for information about Academic Policies
Students must satisfy all requirements as outlined below and by the Risk Management and Insurance (RMI) department offering the certificate.
|RISK 3809||Introduction to Risk Management||3|
|RISK 4809||Property & Casualty Insurance||3|
|RISK 4909||Corporate Risk Management||3|
|FNCE 3000||Principles of Finance||3|
|FNCE 3500||Management of Business Capital||3|
Waiver of FNCE 3000 and FNCE 3500 prerequisite courses:
The following professional finance-related credentials considered as equivalencies:
- CMA - Certified Management Accountant
- CFM - Certified Financial Manager
- CFA - Certified Financial Analyst – (passed level 1)
- CTP - Certified Treasury Professional
- CPA - Certified Public Accountant
- FRM - Financial Risk Manager (GARP) – (passed part 1)
- CRP - Certified Risk Professional
- CBM - Certified Business Manager – (passed part 2)
- CVA/AVA - Certified/Accredited Valuation Analyst
- ARM - Associate in Risk Management (passed ARM 54 or ARM 56)
- CRM – Certified Risk Manager
- CPCU - Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriters – (passed CPCU 540)
- Relevant certifications outside the certification list above will be updated
- Relevant undergraduate or graduate degree
A committee of faculty teaching RISK 3809 and RISK 4909 will assess waiver requests for professional applicants.
Time of completion:
- Two semesters (if prerequisites waived)
- All courses are available online
- Admission will be as a non-degree student. Registration is through Extended Studies.
- For further information, contact Lori Genuchi firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-315-8153