Please click here to see Mathematical and Statistical Sciences department information.
These degree requirements are subject to periodic revision by the academic department, and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences reserves the right to make exceptions and substitutions as judged necessary in individual cases. Therefore, the College strongly urges students to consult regularly with their major advisor and CLAS advisor to confirm the best plans of study before finalizing them.
- This is an on-campus program.
Declaring This Major
- Click here to go to information about declaring a major.
To earn a degree, students must satisfy all requirements in each of the three areas below, in addition to their individual major requirements.
- CU Denver General Graduation Requirements
- CU Denver Core Curriculum
- College of Liberal Arts & Sciences Graduation Requirements
- Click here for information about Academic Policies
- Students must complete a total of 54 credit hours, including a minimum of 42 MATH credit hours and 9 credit hours in ancillary coursework.
- Students must complete at least 30 upper-division (3000-level and above) credit hours in the major.
- Students must earn a minimum grade of C- (1.7) in all courses that apply to the major and must achieve a minimum cumulative major GPA of 2.25. All graded attempts in required and elective courses are calculated in the major GPA. Courses taken using P+/P/F or S/U grading cannot apply to major requirements.
- Students must complete a minimum of 15 upper-division level MATH credit hours with CU Denver faculty.
Program Restrictions, Allowances and Recommendations
- Students may not use any of the following MATH courses to count toward major requirements:
- MATH 3041 Fundamental Mathematics: Algebra, Probability and Data Analysis
- MATH 3195 Linear Algebra and Differential Equations
- MATH 3511 Mathematics of Chemistry
- MATH 3800 Probability and Statistics for Engineers
- MATH 4830 Applied Statistics
|Complete the following program requirements:||54|
|Complete one of the following programming options:||3-4|
|Programming for Data Science|
|Fundamentals of Computing|
and Fundamentals of Computing Laboratory
|Complete all of the following required Mathematics courses:||33|
|Introduction to Abstract Mathematics|
|Applied Linear Algebra|
|Data Wrangling & Visualization|
|Introduction to Real Analysis I|
|Applied Regression Analysis|
|Complete one of the following Machine Learning courses:||3|
|Intro to Statistical and Machine Learning|
|Machine Learning Methods|
|Complete two MATH elective courses (at least six credit hours) above the 3000 level, excluding MATH 3041, MATH 3195, MATH 3511, MATH 3800, MATH 4015, and MATH 4830.||6|
|Complete 9 additional credit hours (typically 3 courses), countable towards a major in one of the following subjects, at any level:||9|
|Geography and Environmental Science|
|Health and Behavioral Science|
Other areas allowable on a case-by-case basis.
To learn more about the Student Learning Outcomes for this program, please visit our website.
To review the Degree Map for this program, please visit our website.