Please click here to see English department information.
Students who have an interest in writing poetry or fiction may enroll in the creative writing minor. The creative writing minor gives students the opportunity to complement their area of major study with experience writing and reading poetry or fiction.
These degree requirements are subject to periodic revision by the academic department, and the College reserves the right to make exceptions and substitutions as judged necessary in individual cases. Therefore, the College strongly urges students to consult regularly with their major advisor and their CLAS advisor to confirm the best plans of study before finalizing them.
- This is an on-campus program.
Declaring This Minor
- Please see your CLAS advisor.
- Click here to go to information about declaring a major/minor.
Students must satisfy all requirements as outlined below and by the department offering the minor.
- Students must complete a minimum of 15 ENGL credit hours.
- Students must complete a minimum of 9 upper-division (3000-level and above) ENGL credit hours.
- Students must earn a minimum grade of C- (1.7) in all minor courses taken at CU Denver and must achieve a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0. All graded attempts in required and elective courses are calculated in the minor GPA. Students cannot complete minor or ancillary course requirements as pass/fail.
- Students must complete a minimum of 9 ENGL credit hours with CU Denver faculty.
Program Allowances or Restrictions
- Courses counted in a minor cannot be counted toward any English Major or English Writing, Rhetoric, and Technology Major.
|Take all of the following||9|
|ENGL 2156||Introduction to Creative Writing||3|
|ENGL 2450||Introduction to Literature||3|
|ENGL 3020||Poetry Workshop||3|
|or ENGL 3050||Fiction Workshop|
|Take one of the following, not taken above||3|
|ENGL 3020||Poetry Workshop (if not taken above)||3|
|ENGL 3050||Fiction Workshop (if not taken above)||3|
|ENGL 4025||Advanced Poetry Workshop||3|
|ENGL 4055||Advanced Fiction Workshop||3|
|Students who have taken ENGL 3020, take one of the following Poetry courses:||3|
|History of American Poetry|
|Special Topics in Creative Writing: Poetry|
|Students who have taken ENGL 3050, take one of the following Fiction courses:||3|
|Survey of the English Novel to 1900|
|The American Novel|
|The American Short Story|
|Special Topics in Creative Writing: Fiction|
To learn more about the Student Learning Outcomes for this program, please visit our website.