Graduate School Policies and Procedures apply to this program.
Strategic Communication has been defined as the management function that entails planning, research, publicity, promotion and collaborative decision-making to help any organization's ability to listen to, appreciate and respond appropriately to those persons and groups whose mutually beneficial relationships the organization needs to foster as it strives to achieve its mission and vision. The Graduate Certificate in Strategic Communication is designed to provide students with the principles and theories that guide the work of public relations practitioners in commercial, public and nonprofit contexts.
Non-degree students who enroll in the MA program following completion of the certificate may transfer up to 12 hours of credits earned for the certificate into credits for the MA degree. The certificate also is designed for students enrolled in a CU Denver's master's program, including the Department of Communication's MA program. For such students, the certificate can be completed as part of or in addition to the coursework required for the master's degree.
Recipients of the Undergraduate Certificate in Strategic Communication are ineligible to complete this certificate.
Application Procedures and Additional Information
- Students should declare interest in completing the Graduate Certificate in Strategic Communication by emailing Dr. Hamilton Bean at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Before the end of their final semester, students must send a completed certificate application to Dr. Hamilton Bean at email@example.com.
- The approved certificate will be mailed to the student, and recorded on their transcript, after final grades are posted for the semester.
- Students who are not already enrolled at CU Denver must also complete an online Application for Non-Degree Admission prior to registering for courses.
Additional information about the Graduate Certificate in Strategic Communication may be obtained from
Dr. Hamilton Bean
Department of Communication
Student Commons Building
1201 Larimer Street, Suite 3010
- Students must complete a minimum of 12 credits from approved courses.
- Students must complete all courses at the graduate level (5000 or above) to fulfill the requirements of the certificate.
- Students must earn a minimum grade of B (3.0) in all certificate courses taken at CU Denver and must achieve a minimum cumulative certificate GPA of 3.0. All graded attempts in required and elective courses are calculated in the certificate GPA. Students cannot complete certificate or ancillary course requirements as pass/fail.
- All of the credit hours for the certificate must be earned from faculty at the University of Colorado Denver.
|Complete the following||12|
|COMM 5051||Advanced Strategic Communication||3|
|COMM 5240||Organizational Communication||3|
|An elective at the graduate level from the College of Arts & Media, School of Business, the School of Public Affairs, or the Anschutz Medical Campus. 1||3|
The elective must be approved in consultation with the Department of Communication.
Students may be permitted to take courses other than those listed above to fulfill the requirements for the certificate if those courses fit their professional goals better. Requests for approval for substitute courses, including an explanation for the substitution, must be made in writing to Dr. Hamilton Bean.
To learn more about the Student Learning Outcomes for this program, please visit our website.