Aug 09, 2020
Please click here to see English department information.
The course of study offered by the Department of English is designed to develop a student’s ability to read literature responsibly and imaginatively, to foster an understanding and appreciation of our literary inheritance, and to provide the historical perspective from which to evaluate contemporary writing. Careful study of the use of the English language also should help a student to resist the misuse and corruption of language in politics, the media, and elsewhere. Students who complete the program in English are expected to have mastered the ability to express their ideas in clear and succinct prose.
These degree requirements are subject to periodic revision by the academic department, and the College reserves the right to make exceptions and substitutions as judged necessary in individual cases. Therefore, the College strongly urges students to consult regularly with their major advisor and CLAS advisor to confirm the best plans of study before finalizing them.
- This is an on-campus program.
Declaring This Major
- Click here to go to information about declaring a major.
- Students planning to major in English must consult with an advisor as soon as possible.
- Students may choose only one of the three options in the English major.
To earn a degree, students must satisfy all requirements in each of the areas below, in addition to their individual major requirements.
- Students must complete a minimum of 39 ENGL credit hours.
- Students must complete a minimum of 27 upper-division (3000-level and above) ENGL credit hours.
- Students must earn a minimum grade of C-(1.7) in all major courses taken at CU Denver and must achieve a minimum cumulative major GPA of 2.0. All graded attempts in required and elective courses are calculated in the major GPA. Students cannot complete major or ancillary course requirements as pass/fail.
- Students must complete a minimum of 15 ENGL upper-division (3000-level and above) credit hours with CU Denver faculty.
Program Restrictions, Allowances and Recommendations
- ENGL 1010, 1020, and 2030 are not included in the major.
- Internship/cooperative education courses may be counted toward the major for students who have completed over 60 credit hours.
- Students are not to exceed 56 English credit hours (any level).
- Double majors in English and English Writing are exempt from the 56-hour rule and must complete 63 hours total for both majors.
- A minimum 15 upper-division (3000-level and above) ENGL credit hours must be taken with CU Denver faculty.
- The English Department also offers a minor in Literature, Writing, Creative Writing, and Film Studies. Courses counted in a minor cannot be counted toward the major.
- Latin Honors may be earned by participating in the department’s Honors Program. You are encouraged to begin the program in your junior year. The program requires additional coursework and affords you the opportunity to work individually with the professor of your choice. Handouts are available in the English office.
- Any of the following courses can be taken more than once, if the topic/title differs:
- Any film or film theory course (Film History, director course, Lit. to Film, global etc.)
- Any 3330 post-1900 topic (e.g., Lit. of the City, Detective Lit., Science Fiction, Memoir)
- Any 4770 Topic post-1900 (e.g., Philosophy and Lit., Mental Health in Lit., Environmental Lit.)
- Any 4000 Major Author or other major author course post-1900 (e.g., Nobel Laureates, Cather, Joyce)
- Any women’s lit. and/or feminist theory topics course
- Any ENGL ethnic lit. topics course
- Any ENGL identity topics course (e.g. LQBT Lit., Queer Theory)