Jan 17, 2021
Please click here to see English department information.
The course of study offered by the Department of English is designed to develop a student’s ability to read literature responsibly and imaginatively, to foster an understanding and appreciation of our literary inheritance, and to provide the historical perspective from which to evaluate contemporary writing and to produce it. Students who complete the program in English are expected to have mastered the ability to express their ideas in creative work.
These degree requirements are subject to periodic revision by the academic department, and the College reserves the right to make exceptions and substitutions as judged necessary in individual cases. Therefore, the College strongly urges students to consult regularly with their major advisor and their CLAS advisor to confirm the best plans of study before finalizing them.
- This is an on-campus program.
Declaring This Major
- Click here to go to information about declaring a major
- Students planning to major in English must consult with an advisor as soon as possible.
- Students may choose only one of the three options in the English major.
To earn a degree, students must satisfy all requirements in each of the areas below, in addition to their individual major requirements.
- Students must complete a minimum of 39 ENGL credit hours.
- Students must complete a minimum of 27 upper division (3000-level and above) ENGL credit hours.
- Students must earn a minimum grade of C-(1.7) in all major courses taken at CU Denver and must achieve a minimum cumulative major GPA of 2.0. All graded attempts in required and elective courses are calculated in the major GPA. Students cannot complete major or ancillary course requirements as pass/fail.
- Students must complete a minimum of 15 ENGL upper-division (3000-level and above) credit hours with CU Denver faculty.
Program Restrictions, Allowances and Recommendations
- ENGL 1010, 1020 and 2030 do not apply to the major.
- Internship/cooperative education courses may be counted toward the major for students who have completed over 60 credit hours.
- Students are not to exceed 56 English credit hours (any level).
- Double majors in English and English Writing are exempt from the 56-hour rule and must complete 63 hours total for both majors.
- The English Department also offers a minor in, English Writing Rhetoric & Technology. Courses counted in a minor cannot be counted toward the major.
- A minimum of 15 upper-division (3000-level and above) ENGL credit hours must be taken with CU Denver faculty.
- Latin Honors may be earned by participating in the department’s Honors Program. You are encouraged to begin the program in your junior year. The program requires additional coursework and affords you the opportunity to work individually with the professor of your choice. Handouts are available in the English office.
Take six upper division 3000- or 4000-level ENGL courses, unless previously taken. The courses below are strongly recommended.