► Graduate School Policies and Procedures apply to this program
Program Director: Philip Joseph
The department offers an English MA degree focused around five core courses with specializations available in literature, rhetoric and the teaching of writing, and applied linguistics.
Contact the graduate program director for more information on these programs.
Requirements for Admission
The deadline for summer or fall admission is April 1; the deadline for spring is October 1. Complete applications must include the following:
- a completed University of Colorado graduate application
- one copy of all graduate and undergraduate transcripts, and for any nondegree courses previously taken
- three letters of recommendation in which the recommender specifically addresses the candidate’s ability to pursue successfully the program chosen
- recent scores on the GRE general test, which includes the analytical, verbal and quantitative portions. GRE score average should be 155 or higher. Analytical writing score should be 4 or higher.
- evidence of a 3.0 GPA in previous courses
- a one-page statement of purpose
- 10-page critical writing sample
In addition to these requirements, applicants for the program must have successfully completed 24 semester hours in English courses (graduate or undergraduate), excluding courses in composition, creative writing or speech. At least 15 of these semester hours must be at the upper-division level.
Transfer of Credits from Other CU Campuses
Students admitted to graduate study in English may complete all of their course requirements for the MA degree at CU Denver. Up to 9 semester hours (total) may be transferred from the University of Colorado Boulder, University of Colorado Colorado Springs or other graduate program; however, such transfer requires the written approval of the graduate advisor. Only 9 semester hours of courses taken at CU Denver before acceptance into the program can be counted toward the degree. Further, work already applied toward a graduate degree received at the University of Colorado or at another institution cannot be transferred toward another graduate degree of the same level at CU Denver. (For other rules concerning transfer of graduate credits, see the Graduate School Policies and Procedures .) For more information, contact the graduate program director at 303-315-7847.