Mar 04, 2021
Please click here to see Communication department information.
These degree requirements are subject to periodic revision by the academic department, and the College reserves the right to make exceptions and substitutions as judged necessary in individual cases. Therefore, the College strongly urges students to consult regularly with their major advisor and CLAS advisor to confirm the best plans of study before finalizing them.
- This program is offered both on-campus and online.
Declaring This Major
- Click here to go to information about declaring a major.
To earn a degree, students must satisfy all requirements in each of the three areas below, in addition to their individual major requirements.
- The communication major requires that students take a total of 39 hours of course work in communication, 18 of which must be taken in residence at CU Denver.
- At least 18 of the 39 hours must be upper-division.
- Communication majors may complete up to 6 hours of internship credit (COMM 3939).
- A minimum grade of C- and a minimum overall GPA of 2.0 is required for all courses applying to Communication requirements.
- A maximum of 6 semester hours of independent study courses may be applied to the major.
Take all of the following Communication courses:
- COMM 1011 - Fundamentals of Communication
- COMM 1021 - Introduction To Media Studies
- COMM 2020 - Communication, Citizenship, and Social Justice
Take one of the following courses:
- COMM 1001 - Presentational Speaking
- COMM 2050 - Business and Professional Speaking
Take eight Communication electives:
In addition to required Communication courses, students are required to take eight elective courses (24 hours), which may consist of classes chosen from any combination of Pathway and Critical Toolbox Courses.
- community service and public affairs
- global and intercultural communication
- health communication
- inquiry and analysis
- media and cultural studies
- strategic communication
Take one of the following exit courses:
- COMM 3939 - Internship
- COMM 4040 - Communication, Prisons, and Social Justice
- COMM 4051 - Advanced Strategic Communication
- COMM 4082 - Wilderness Communication
- COMM 4525 - Health Communication and Community
- COMM 4550 - Rhetorics of Medicine & Health
- COMM 4558 - Digital Health Narratives
- COMM 4660 - Queer Media Studies
- COMM 4688 - Senior Seminar: Transitioning from College to Career
- COMM 4700 - Writing Practicum
- COMM 4995 - Travel Study (options include Guatemala, Italy or China in Maymester, Japan in Summer, and Spain in Winterim)
Exit courses include a High Impact Practice, such as: experiential and service learning, collaborative learning, writing-intensive assignments, global education, a focus on diversity and inclusion, and/or a project-based capstone class.