Records and Registration
CU Denver offers students a completely online system of planning their schedules and registering for classes. As a student, you are responsible for knowing the deadlines, rules, regulations, course loads, prerequisites and policies of the university, as well as those of the college or school in which you are enrolled, all of which is provided within this online catalog. Please refer to the Academic Policies section for more specific information related to records and registration.
Office of the Registrar
Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Enrollment Operations & Compliance and University Registrar: Carrie John
Office: Student Commons Building, Suite 5005
Web site: www.ucdenver.edu/Registrar
Students should review the sections of this catalog that describe in detail the academic programs available at the Denver Campus.
The registrar’s office will send an e-mail message to the student’s university-assigned e-mail address, inviting the student to register, including registration information and a registration time assignment. Registration is by time assignment only. Students may register via the web on or after their assigned time.
FERPA: FAMILY EDUCATIONAL RIGHTS AND PRIVACY ACT
FERPA is a federal privacy law that protects students’ educational records. Under this law, students have three primary rights:
- Inspect and review their education records.
- Seek to amend incorrect education records.
- Have some control over the disclosure of information from their education record.
FERPA directory information is information contained in a student’s education record that generally would not be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. Under current CU Denver policy, the following information is designated as directory information:
- Student name. If provided, a preferred name will be used when there is not a documented business or legal reason to provide a student’s primary name. Students may also select a diploma name for graduation and commencement materials.
- Hometown (city, state).
- Campus email address.*
- Dates of attendance.
- Previous educational institutions attended.
- School/college or division of enrollment.
- Majors, minors and field of study.
- Classification level (e.g., freshman, sophomore, graduate student).
- University-recognized honors and awards.
- Degree status (e.g. expected graduation date and/or conferral dates/terms).
- Enrollment status.
- Employment related to student status (e.g. teaching assistant, resident assistant or work-study) and dates for positions held.
- Participation in officially recognized activities/sports, including height and weight of athletes.
- Photos and videos taken or maintained by the university.
*Campus email addresses are only disclosed to requestors who agree not to use them for solicitation.
Although these items are designated by CU Denver as directory information, only a limited amount of this information is routinely disclosed by CU Denver university officials. The university retains the discretion to refuse disclosure of directory information if it believes such disclosure would be an infringement on student privacy rights.
Students may ask the University not to publicly disclose directory information. Be aware, however, if you are seeking employment, the Registrar’s Office cannot release your enrollment, degree status or major to anyone unless you come to the Registrar’s Office with a photo ID.
Forms to prevent disclosure of directory information can be obtained at the Registrar’s Office, located in the Student Commons Building, or via the Registrar’s website at www.ucdenver.edu/registrar.
Information that is never released without your consent includes grades, tuition/fees owed, financial aid, etc. If you would like to give permission to someone else to have access to that information, you can submit a Release of Confidential Information Form to the Office of the Registrar. This form also must be submitted in person.
More information about FERPA can be found in the University Catalog. If you have questions regarding your rights under FERPA, please contact the Office of the Registrar.