Mar 30, 2020  
2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog 
2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog

International Admissions

International Admissions

Physical Address: Student Commons Building, Suite 1119, 1201 Larimer Street, Denver, CO 80204
Mailing Address: Campus Box A005/1001, PO Box 173364, Denver, CO 80217-3364
Telephone: +1 (303) 315-2382

CU Denver International Admissions assists all international students who currently have or will require a non-immigrant visa with the international application process. Advisors are available to help you through the entire application process. We also evaluate international academic credentials for US citizens, permanent residents, and other applicants who have studied outside the United States in the past.

Application Requirements

Online Application

Completed online application, available at

$75 Non-refundable Application Fee

Acceptable methods of payment for the $75 Application Fee are: Personal check, Money order or Credit card. Credit Card payments are accepted online through the application for admission. Once the application is submitted, Money Orders or Personal Checks are the only remaining options.

Important Note: Please, do not send cash or personal credit card information in the mail.

Transcripts: High School and University

Official transcripts are those that arrive at our office in an envelope sealed by the institution or local ministry of education. All documents must be accompanied by a certified English translation. Official high school transcripts are not required for transfer applicants who have completed more than 30 semester hours of college/university coursework.

If applicable, official transcripts from all Colleges/Universities attended should also be submitted. College/University transcripts are always required, if the applicant did not complete a degree or program at the previous institution.

Proof of English Language Proficiency

International applicants to CU Denver must provide proof of English language proficiency (ELP) in order to be considered for full admission. Undergraduate applicants (except Nursing) and some graduate applicants can be considered for conditional admission if they apply without adequate proof of ELP. You may meet the ELP requirement via any of the options listed below. For the most up-to-date information, please visit the International Admissions website.

English Language Proficiency Tests

The CU Denver institutional code for TOEFL: 4875



Minimum TOEFL Total Score: 75 IBT

TOEFL Subscores
Reading 15
Listening 15
Speaking 18
Writing 17

Minimum IELTS Overall Band Score: 6.5

IELTS Subscores
Reading 5.5
Listening 5.5
Speaking 5.5
Writing 5.5

Minimum PTE Academic Score Accepted: 51

The Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic) is currently in a pilot review at the University of Colorado Denver. We will accept a 51 PTE Academic score with the following subscores:

PTE Academic Subscores
Reading 44
Listening 44
Speaking 49
Writing 47
  1. Successfully completed level 5 of the University of Colorado Denver’s ESL Academy.
  2. Graduated from a US accredited school abroad with English as the medium of instruction.
  3. Graduated with bachelor’s degree in the US or successfully completed a minimum of two semesters of full-time study in a master’s program at a US accredited institution.
  4. Graduated from and completed a minimum of one year of secondary school in the US that included at least one unit of college preparatory English.
  5. Exempt Countries: Australia, Belize, Botswana, Canada (except Quebec), Commonwealth Caribbean, Ghana, Great Britain, Ireland, Kenya, New Zealand, Scotland, Singapore, South Africa, and Zimbabwe
Test Scores: ACT/SAT

Results are mandatory for international students who have graduated from a U.S. high school or those seeking freshman admission directly to the College of Engineering, Design and Computing programs. For engineering students, admission to CU Denver is still possible without these scores by way of the Pre-Engineering program in the College of Liberal Arts and Science.

Documentation Requirements

The University of Colorado Denver requires official transcripts to be submitted as part of the application process.  They must be in the original language and include a certified English translation.  Official transcripts are those that arrive at our office in an envelope sealed by the institution or local ministry of education.  If you do not see your country listed, please contact our office.

Freshman Applicants: Along with official transcripts, please also submit a copy of the final diploma if the program has been completed.

International students studying in the US: The University of Colorado Denver requires official transcripts from your US high school, as well as transcripts for any secondary school coursework completed prior to enrollment in the US. SAT/ACT tests are required for international students who have graduated from a U.S. high school.

Transfer Applicants: If applicable, official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended should also be submitted from all countries studied in.  College/university transcripts are always required even if the applicant did not complete a degree or program at the previous institution.  Official high school transcripts are not required for transfer applicants who have completed more than 30 semester hours of college/university coursework. 

Application Deadlines

Undergraduate Applicants: Please see the deadlines listed below. The preferred deadlines help facilitate timely immigration processing.


Preferred Deadline

Final Deadline


January 15

March 15


March 15

May 15


September 15

October 15

University Housing

First-time University of Colorado Denver freshmen under the age of 21 not living with their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) are required to live at Campus Village. See  for details about live-in requirements, exemptions, and other important information. The Housing Office (e)mails information to all new freshmen about Campus Village, which is the only housing facility that fulfills the live-in requirement. 

Please check the Campus Village website,, for the most up to date rate information.

Immigration Process

International Services Specialists in International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) handle the immigration process for international students. ISSS will issue an immigration document (Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 ) to you, if applicable, only after you have confirmed your acceptance and submitted the Immigration Clearance Form (see below). 

You will be contacted within five (5) business days of receiving your decision letter and will need to provide: 

  1. Proof of Financial Support: If you have already sent financial documents to the International Admissions Office, that information will be forwarded to ISSS. If you have not already provided this information, or if your information needs to be updated, you will have an opportunity to provide ISSS with your proof of financial support when you complete the online Immigration Clearance Form that your International Services Specialist will send to you. 
  2. Passport/Visa Information: If you have already sent this information to International Admissions, it will be made available to ISSS who will contact you if they need more information.

Note: International students living outside of the U.S. will need to provide a copy of their passport, if it has not already been sent. Those living in the U.S. should be prepared to submit a copy of their passport, visa, Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record and Form I-20, Form DS-2019, or Form I-797 (if applicable). In all correspondence, please use your name as it appears on your passport. 

Please visit ISSS for more information on Pre-ArrivalArrival at CU DenverI-20/DS-2019 Timeline, and more.

On-Campus Employment

F-1 and J-1 students who maintain a minimum GPA, are enrolled full-time, and are otherwise in legal immigration status may work on-campus up to 20 hours per week during normal enrollment periods and more than 20 hours per week during official school breaks (provided they intend to enroll the following semester). F-1 students do not require any special authorization prior to commencing employment. J-1 students, however, must receive written authorization from a Responsible Officer in International Student and Scholar Services prior to commencing on-campus employment.

Health Insurance

International Student Health Insurance Office
Physical Address: 
Lawrence Street Center 1380 Lawrence Street, Suite 932

The University of Colorado Denver, Downtown Campus has a mandatory health insurance policy for all international students in the non-immigrant visa categories of F-1 and J-1. Please review for compliance and waiver policies.

How does insurance work at CU Denver?
  • All international students with F1 and J1 visas are automatically enrolled in the CU Denver International Student Health Insurance plan. (Exceptions are made for students sponsored by their government or employer which provide health insurance deemed adequate by the university.)
  • You will receive your health insurance information via email from United Healthcare.
  • With the International Student Health Insurance, you may visit the student Health Center at Auraria without having to pay copays or deductibles for office visits. You will have to pay a copay for medication.
  • The Health Center at Auraria is located in the Plaza Building, Suite 150.
  • Students may add dependents but must fill out an enrollment form each semester. Please note that dependents are eligible to enroll only within 30 days of birth or arrival in the U.S.
  • Students on OPT may be eligible to enroll in the CU Denver International Student Insurance plan if they were enrolled in the insurance plan the semester immediately preceding the OPT start date.

CU Denver Waiver Policy

How does it work?

  • Students have the option to purchase their own insurance plan and waive the CU Denver plan.
  • Requests to waive the CU Denver plan must be submitted electronically each fall and spring semester.
  • Alternative health insurance policies must meet the minimum requirements that are set by the University of Colorado Denver. (Requirements are listed below.)
  • The policy must be active at all times when the student is in the U.S. as a student of CU Denver, including upon arrival in the U.S., during semester breaks, and on or before the first day of the semester.
Where do I submit my waiver? Click link below

Waiver Request Portal

What are the requirements to get my insurance waiver approved?
  • Your insurance must meet ALL the requirements listed below:
  • Annual deductible cannot exceed $500.00
  • Medical benefits of at least $1,000,000.00 per plan year with no internal (per service) dollar limits or per visit limits for specific benefits; this includes preventive care benefits and mental health benefits
  • Co-insurance cannot be less than 75% for Preferred Provider (PPO) networks and access to non-emergent and non-urgent network providers in the Denver metro area
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000.00
  • Medical evacuation benefits to student’s home country of at least $50,000.00
  • No pre-existing condition limitations
  • Coverage for maternity regardless of when a student becomes pregnant
  • Coverage of suicide and self-inflicted injury (intentional or non-intentional)
  • The health insurance company is a U.S.-based carrier or entity underwritten by an insurance corporation with an A.M. Best rating of “A-” or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of “A-I” or above, a Standard and Poor’s Claims Paying Ability rating of “A-” or above, or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above, the plan must be underwritten in the U.S. (plans underwritten by offshore companies that are subsidiaries of U.S. or non-U.S. insurance corporations do not meet this requirement), and the participant’s policy being offered by the insurance carrier or entity must be compliant with all the guidelines of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
  • The claims administrator must be based in the U.S.
  • The policy must be active at all times when the student is in the U.S. as a student of CU Denver, including upon arrival in the U.S., during semester breaks, and on or before the first day of the semester.