Jul 21, 2018  
2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog 
2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog

International Admissions

International Admissions

Physical Address: Student Commons Building, Ste 1119, 1201 Larimer Street, Denver, CO 80204
Mailing Address: Campus Box A005/1001, PO Box 173364, Denver, CO 80217-3364
Telephone: +1 (303) 315-2382
Email: application@ucdenver.edu
Website: international.ucdenver.edu/admissions

The Office of International Admissions at the University of Colorado Denver assists all international students who are on or will require a non-immigrant visa with the international application process. Advisors are available to help you through the entire application process. 

Application Classifications/Definitons

Please make sure you understand if you are applying as a degree seeking, non-degree seeking, guest, or exchange student. Additionally, keep in mind that submitting all of your documentation at the same time will expedite application processing time.

  • Non-degree Application - Non-degree candidates are students who do not plan to earn a degree at the University of Colorado Denver but are interested in taking classes in one of the following categories. If you are an international student and one of the following applies to you, be sure to indicate your status on the online application:
  • Non-degree Option - Post-baccalaureate student: you have completed a first university degree deemed by the University of Colorado Denver to be comparable to a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States and wish to take courses at the University as a non-degree student either for your own benefit, in preparation for graduate school, or to otherwise enhance your skills.
  • Non-degree Option - Guest student or visiting student: you are enrolled in a degree program at another college or university and wish to take courses for credit at CU Denver with the intention of transferring them back to your home institution. This will require that your home institution approve the CU Denver credits you plan to take for transfer back to your home.
  • Non-degree Option - ​International exchange student status: being an exchange student requires that the college or university at which you are presently enrolled have an agreement with the University of Colorado D​enver that one of their students can come to CU Denver at the same time that a CU Denver student goes to their institution. It presumes that a CU Denver student wishes to enroll at your institution in the same term that you enroll at CU Denver. You need to initiate the process of enrollment as an exchange student by determining whether such an agreement exists at your home institution.

Application Requirements

Online Application

Completed online application, available at internationaladmissions.ucdenver.edu

$75 Non-refundable Application Fee

Acceptable methods of payment for the $75 Application Fee are: Personal check, Money order or Credit card. Credit Card payments are accepted online through the application for admission. Once the application is submitted, Money Orders or Personal Checks are the only remaining options.

Important Note: Please, do not send cash or personal credit card information in the mail

Transcripts: High School and University

Official transcripts are those that arrive at our office in an envelope sealed by the institution or local ministry of education. All documents must be accompanied by a certified English translation. Official high school transcripts are not required for transfer applicants who have completed more than 30 semester hours of college/university coursework.

If applicable, official transcripts from all Colleges/Universities attended should also be submitted. College/University transcripts are always required, if the applicant did not complete a degree or program at the previous institution


The CU Denver institutional code for TOEFL : 4875
Applicants will be considered to have obtained the required English language proficiency if they meet satisfactory scores (below) or one of the additional options:



Minimum TOEFL Score Accepted: 75 IBT / 537 PBT

TOEFL Subscores
Reading 15
Listening 15
Speaking 18
Writing 17

Minimum IELTS Score Accepted: 6.5

The TOEFL/IELTS requirement can be waived if an applicant has graduated from the ESL Academy. Information regarding other considerations for exemption, including country of citizenship/origin, and special circumstances can be found here. Please note that some graduate level programs will require a higher score on the TOEFL/IELTS and applicants should consult the department for additional details

IELTS Subscores
Reading 5.5
Listening 5.5
Speaking 5.5
Writing 5.5

Minimum PTE Academic Score Accepted: 51

TThe Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic) is currently in a pilot review at the University of Colorado Denver. We will accept a 51 PTE Academic score with the following subscores:

PTE Academic Subscores
Reading 44
Listening 44
Speaking 49
Writing 47
  • Successfully completed level 5 of the University of Colorado Denver’s ESL Academy.
  • Graduated from a US accredited school abroad with English as the medium of instruction.
  • Graduated with bachelor’s degree in the US or successfully completed a minimum of two semesters of full-time study in a master’s program at a US accredited institution.
  • Graduated from and completed a minimum of one year of secondary school in the US that included at least one unit of college preparatory English.
  • Exempt Countries: Australia, Belize, Botswana, Canada (except Quebec), Commonwealth Caribbean, Ghana, Great Britain, Ireland, Kenya, New Zealand, Scotland, Singapore, South Africa, and Zimbabwe.
Test Scores: ACT/SAT

Results are mandatory for international students who have graduated from a U.S. high school or those seeking freshman admission directly to the College of Engineering and Applied Science programs. For engineering students, admission to CU Denver is still possible without these scores by way of the Pre-Engineering program in the College of Liberal Arts and Science.

Documentation Requirements

The University of Colorado Denver requires official transcripts to be submitted as part of the application process.  They must be in the original language and include a certified English translation.  Official transcripts are those that arrive at our office in an envelope sealed by the institution or local ministry of education.  If you do not see your country listed, please contact our office.

Freshman Applicants: Along with official transcripts, please also submit a copy of the final diploma if the program has been completed.

International students studying in the US: The University of Colorado Denver requires official transcripts from your US high school, as well as transcripts for any secondary school coursework completed prior to enrollment in the US. SAT/ACT tests are required for international students who have graduated from a U.S. high school.

Transfer Applicants: If applicable, official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended should also be submitted from all countries studied in.  College/university transcripts are always required even if the applicant did not complete a degree or program at the previous institution.  Official high school transcripts are not required for transfer applicants who have completed more than 30 semester hours of college/university coursework. 

Graduate Applicants: Submit official post-secondary transcripts/statement of marks, corresponding certified English translations if necessary, and a copy of the final diploma.  Please contact us if you have any questions regarding documentation.​​

Please be advised that all the documents submitted along with the application become the property of the university and will NOT be returned to the applicant.

Application Deadlines

The preferred deadlines help facilitate timely immigration processing.


Preferred Deadline

Final Deadline


January 15

March 15


March 15

May 15


September 15

October 15


CU Denver provides various resources to help students find both on and off-campus housing. The Office of Housing and Residential Education serves as a resource for all student housing needs. The office supports students with housing, addresses issues related to housing, and provides students with various housing resources. They offer an online housing database: http://ucdenverhousing.com

For more information, please contact the Office of Housing and Residental Education at 303-556-2444 or at housing@ucdenver.edu.

On-Campus Employment

F-1 and J-1 students who maintain a minimum GPA, are enrolled full-time, and are otherwise in legal immigration status may work on-campus up to 20 hours per week during normal enrollment periods and more than 20 hours per week during official school breaks (provided they intend to enroll the following semester). F-1 students do not require any special authorization prior to commencing employment. J-1 students, however, must receive written authorization from a Responsible Officer in International Student and Scholar Services prior to commencing on-campus employment.

Health Insurance

Student Health Insurance Office
Physical Address: 
Tivoli Student Union, Room 127
Telephone: 303-556-6273
Email: studentlife.healthinsurance@ucdenver.edu

The University of Colorado Denver has a mandatory health insurance policy for all enrolled inter​national students in the non-immigrant visa categories of F-1 and J-1. While many other countries bear the expenses of health care for their residents, individuals in the United States are responsible for these expenses themselves. Health care in the US can be very costly and a single visit to the emergency room can cost thousands of dollars. Therefore it is important to have a good insurance policy that gives students access to medical facilities and provides protections against the high cost of healthcare.

How does insurance work at CU Denver?
  • All international students with F1 and J1 visa are automatically enrolled in the CU Denver International Student Health Insurance plan as soon as they enroll in classes
  • You will receive your health insurance information via email from United Healthcare
  •  With the Student Health Insurance you can visit the Student Health Center at Auraria without having to pay any copays or deductibles for office visits. You will have to pay a copay for medication.
  • The Student Health Center is located in the Plaza building #150
  • Students can add dependents but must fill out an enrollment form each semester. Please note that dependents are eligible to enroll only within 30 days of birth or arrival in the US
  • Students on OPT may also be eligible to enroll on the CU Denver Student Insurance plan given that they were enrolled on the insurance plan in their last semester immediately preceeding their start of OPT

Student Insurance Rates 2017/18:

​Fall (08/01/2017-12/31/2017) ​$981
​Spring/Summer (01/01/2018-07/31/2018) $1,369
​Summer (06/01/2018-07/31/2018; for new students only) $442
CU Denver Waiver Policy
How does it work?
  • Students have the option to purchase their own insurance plan and waive the CU Denver plan
  • Waivers have to be submitted electronically each fall and spring semester; this means you are providing proof of your own health insurance
  • Health insurance policies have to meet the minimum requirements that are set by the University of Colorado Denver (Requirements are listed below)
  • It is mandatory that your health insurance policy starts no later than the first day of the semester and covers you for the entire time that you will be in the US; that includes holidays;
  • Beginning August 1, 2017 you can submit a waiver for the Fall 2017 semester the deadline to submit a waiver for Fall 2017 is September 15, 2017
Where do I submit my waiver? Click link below

International Student Health Insurance Waiver

What are the requirements to get my insurance waiver approved?

Your insurance must meet ALL the requirements listed below:

  • Annual deductible cannot exceed $500.00
  • Medical benefits of at least $1,000,000.00 per plan year with no internal (per service) dollar limits or per visit limits for specific benefits; this includes preventive care benefits and mental health benefits;
  • Co-insurance cannot be less than 75% for PPO networks
  • Repatriation or remains in the amount of $25,000
  • Medical evacuation benefits of at least $50,000
  •  No pre-existing condition limitations
  • Coverage for maternity regardless of when a student becomes pregnant
  • Coverage of suicide and self-inflicted injury
  • Insurance policy must be US based (underwritten in the US)
  • The policy must be active at all times when the student is in the US - this means your insurance must be active on or before the first day of the semester